Flax (Linum 'Appar') is a tough, heat resistant perennial that grows near my rain garden.
I was recently awarded the Lovely Blog award from Helene at Graphicality UK. Thanks!! I'm supposed to pass it on to ten other bloggers and reveal seven random facts about myself. But I couldn't create a list of only ten blogs so to every blog listed on my blogroll, congrats! You are lovely, too!
Hungry bumblebee on the monarda
1. I am the U turn queen! Getting lost doesn't frustrate me and I'm convinced most directional mistakes can be resolved by backtracking. I once U-turned my way through Maine. I do not have a GPS but I do have an MAP that I'm fairly good at reading.
2. I am energetic and easy going. A crazy storm ripped through my corner of the world last night, destroying our patio umbrella and smashing my tomato plant, but at least my garden is well watered. I don't have a tree in the middle of my living room right now, so no complaints here.
Argh! I found the tomato cage at the bottom of the basement stairs.
I'm so thankful the stem didn't break.
I tied the remaining stems to the red and yellow supports with a piece cut from a plastic newspaper delivery bag since I can't find my plant ties. I'm hoping that will help it survive the next storm.
I was able to find all the tomatoes that had blown off the plant. These are Heatmaster tomatoes. They were bred to resist disease and thrive in hot, humid environments. I just hope they taste good.
3. I'm currently reading Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros. I like books that allow me to immerse myself in a world wholly different than my own.
Broken dahlia stem
Do you think it will grow another branch and still bloom in the fall?
4. I'm a total pacifist until I feel like slapping someone. That's not to say that I just walk around randomly slapping people. But when I see someone doing something truly insane, such as texting while driving, I just want to slap 'em silly.
This frog has doubled in size since moving in to the frog pond below and is quite tolerant of our photo sessions.
5. I just turned 43, my son is 20, and my daughter is 17. My son leaves soon for Army boot camp and has chosen to become a combat medic. My father was a Navy medic in VietNam so the career choice was bittersweet for me.
This honeybee was upside down in the trumpet vine flowers. If you look closely, you can see all the pollen on its legs.
6. I recently saw the Dave Matthews Band in concert. It was wonderful!
Agastache, 'Westerland' rose, and verbena nonariensis
7. I do not have a SmartPhone, IPad, IPod, Tablet, or 3D TV. I have one TV, an old school CD player, and a cell phone that randomly turns itself on and off.
Early morning garden
The sedum and I are grateful the hammock didn't blow into the garden like it did earlier this week.